Thursday, September 8, 2011

Helpless But Not Hopeless


Romans 8:24-26

24 ...But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.”


Sadness and worry overwhelm me. A few months ago I was raving about how blessed I am, but tonight I am sick with the news of the past few days. There is nothing I can do to change the situations that weigh on my shoulders. I have some control over the solution that I desire for one of the situations, but absolutely none over the other. 

I feel helpless.

But I am not hopeless. I have Jesus.

Jesus IS my hope. He is the One who keeps me moving. He gives me the strength to stay calm...to love when I can't...to speak when I am afraid.


I sit and think. I try to pray. I don't even know what to pray for. I don't know what is “best.” I don't have the words to say. 

I feel helpless.

But I am not hopeless. I have the Holy Spirit. 

The Holy Spirit is on my side...he will intercede. He will not only go forward to bring my wordless prayers to the Father, he will also go before me to fill me with the words I must speak and write.


I have to wait to see if I can enlist the help of someone who might be able to do something. I have to wait for a response, if any will even come. I wonder if relationships will ever be the same after these trials.

I feel helpless.

But I am not hopeless. I have God the Father.

The Father fills me with the gift of patience. He allows me to wait with peace. This could never be possible on my own, patience has not been one of my virtues in the past. But God will fill my longing for help, He will always respond, and He will heal broken relationships.


The Trinity will see me to the end of this trial. I feel helpless, but I am not hopeless.


2 comments: